"Mt. Calvary A.M.E. Church was erected on Bethel Road in 1852 and is one of the oldest Churches in Chester County. During the Civil War and the Battle of Gettysburg, the booming cannons could often be heard during Church services.
As time passed, Mt. Calvary relocated from lower Oxford to East Market Street where the cornerstone was laid on August 8, 1884. Mt. Calvary then became Allen A.M.E and was dedicated on May 5, 1886. No longer known as Mt. Calvary, the new Church was named in honor of Richard Allen, whom God steered to start the African Methodist Episcopal Church in a tiny blacksmith shop on 6th and Lombard Streets in Philadelphia.
On May 23, 1935, tragedy struck a blow to all members as the Church was destroyed by fire. Members from a next-door neighbor burning trash on a windy night ignited a fire that caused the Church to burn down. Funds from appeals to the Body Christ throughout Oxford resulted in the present-day Church on Eighth and Market Streets. The present edifice and third Church opened its doors in the fall of 1935 to jubilant members.
|Causes||General Advocacy Arts & Culture At-Risk Youth Children & Youth Civic Engagement Community Crisis Support Disaster Relief Domestic Violence Early Childhood Education General Education Emergency & Safety Faith-Based Financial Assistance Health Homeless & Housing Human Rights Immigrants & Refugees Incarcerated, Formerly Incarcerated International Older Adults Persons with Disabilities Poverty & Basic Needs Professional Development Race & Ethnicity Sexual Assault Social Justice Special Needs Sports & Recreation Student Fieldwork Sustainability Tutor Veterans & Military Families Victim Services Water Conservation Workforce Development|
|Sustainable Development Goals|
9 People | 1 Impact | 5 Hours